We are being monetarily compensated by
Taste of the Wild to help spread the word about their products.
Guest post by Dr. Melissa
Taste of the Wild Pet Food
PO Box 156 Meta, MO 65058
5 Things to Consider When Choosing a Small Breed Dog Food
By Melissa Brookshire, DVM
Good things come in small packages, and dogs are no exception. These tiny creatures bring endless excitement and joy into our lives. With all the goodness they share with us, are we returning the favor by providing them with the best care possible?
A dog is a dog is a dog, right? Not quite – as a veterinarian, I help people choose the right food for their pets, and over the years I’ve learned a lot about small dogs and their unique nutritional needs. I work with pet owners to help them understand these needs and choose a dog food made to address them. The following are the top five things I take into consideration when recommending food to small breed dog owners:
1. Protein and fat levels
Small dogs require extra nutrients to meet their needs due to their faster metabolic rates. Choosing a food with higher levels of protein and fat can help fulfill these needs. There are specific situations in which dogs might require less protein and fat in their diets. Contacting your veterinarian for specific guidelines is always a good idea if your pet has an ongoing medical concern.
2. Kibble size
Tiny mouths, tiny teeth and a tiny esophagus can make eating normal size kibble a challenge. Choosing a food with small bite kibbles will make your pint-sized pup’s eating experience more enjoyable.
Be sure to look at the ingredients in the food you choose. Select a food with a quality protein source and high-quality ingredients like fruits and vegetables.
4. Picky eaters
We’ve all had them: the dog that snubs his food at every meal or only picks at the food in the bowl. Finicky behavior often leads to supplementing or replacing a dog’s diet with snacks or human foods that are not complete and balanced. It is important for small breed dogs to consistently eat a quality, balanced diet.
When looking through the many aisles of pet food, you may find choosing a high-quality food formulated for small breed dogs can be tough on the budget. Remember, choosing a cheaper food can often mean needing to feed a larger amount due to lower energy density or less digestible ingredients.
So you may be asking yourself, how can I find a food that meets all these criteria and won’t break the bank? The nutritionists and veterinarians at Taste of the Wild understand the challenge of finding a food that meets the unique needs of small dogs, which is why they have developed Appalachian ValleyTM Small Breed Canine Formula with Venison & Garbanzo Beans – the first Taste of the Wild formula developed specifically for small breed dogs.
This formula was developed to provide your small breed dog complete nutrition and offer optimum health benefits specific to your pet.
· Protein and fat levels: Formulated to meet the needs of small breed dogs by offering a diet that is more energy dense with higher levels of protein and fat.
· Kibble size: A smaller kibble size makes chewing and digestion easier for small mouths.
· Ingredients: Venison is the first ingredient in the Appalachian Valley formula, offering a unique, lean protein source that is highly digestible and heart-healthy. Additionally, all Taste of the Wild formulas are grain-free.
· Picky eaters: Small breed dogs can be finicky, so the energy-dense Appalachian Valley formula has higher levels of protein and fat that make the food more appealing to them. This allows small dogs to eat smaller portions to meet their nutritional requirements. Also, Taste of the Wild includes tasty ingredients like real meat, garbanzo beans and peas to serve a delicious tasting meal.
· Price: All Taste of the Wild formulas are developed to provide pet owners with a high-quality, grain-free food at a price they can afford
No matter what formula you choose for your pets, it’s important to remember their nutritional requirements. If you’d like to speak to an on-staff veterinarian about your pet’s unique needs, or for more information about the Taste of the Wild Appalachian Valley formula, visit http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/#contact-us.
Want to win a cool gift basket USA friends?
a Rafflecopter giveaway